Limina: A Journal of Historical and Cultural Studies
Call for Papers
Limina 12th Annual Conference
Memory: Myth and Modernity
Limina: A Journal of Historical and Cultural Studies is a peer-reviewed academic journal published at the University of Western Australia since 1995. The 12th Annual Limina Conference will be held on 28 July 2017 at The University of Western Australia.
Call for Papers
Limina’s annual conference aims to foster a supportive environment in which early career researchers and postgraduates can present their latest research findings. We are pleased to invite abstracts for panel sessions and individual papers on the 2017 conference theme of ‘Memory: Myth and Modernity’.
Memory provides us with a framework for reading the past, as well as for shaping our present identities and future aspirations. If, as recent scholarship has attested, these memories can be influenced variously by selective reporting of the media, the digital revolution, physical and mental trauma, and our cognitive biases, then it is incumbent on us to analyse how and what we remember. The 12th annual Limina conference seeks to explore the importance of memory with respect to such issues.
Topics may include but are not limited to:
- Individual and collective identity
- National and cultural memory
- Narrative and autobiography
- History, places and events
- Nostalgia and the imagination
- Emotions and memory
- Trauma, injury and war
- Ethics of memory
- Gender and sexuality
- Migration and displacement
- Social, psychological and scientific approaches to memory.
• A title
• An abstract (maximum 200 words)
• A short biography (maximum 50 words)
to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Memory 2017’ in the subject line. The deadline for submissions is 31 March 2017.
- The deadline for submission of abstracts is 31 March 2017.
- Responses will be sent out by 14 April 2017.
- The conference will be held on Friday 28 July 2017.
- There will be a free public lecture on Thursday 27 July 2017.
Each presenter will have twenty minutes in which to present their paper followed immediately by ten minutes discussion time.
Opportunity for Publication
Limina publishes a themed volume each year which is linked to the annual conference theme. Conference presenters are invited to submit an article for publication in the themed edition of our journal. Article length is 5,000 to 7,000 words. Please see the journal’s submission guidelines for more details and further information on publication opportunities.
Further information will be announced shortly.